Yes, why are friendships so important to women? What is it that we gain from having contact with other women? And, how important are friendships to you that you go out of your way to maintain them? Let’s take a look at the 10 reasons why women friendships are important to women.
Some women make friends easily while others struggle with it. I’m sure that the introvert/extrovert personality plays a factor in this. I’m an introvert and I have to work at making and maintaining friendships. Sometimes I think I’m not doing very well at this. I know I need to put more effort into my women friendships and how we connect. Are you thinking that, too?
If you aren’t aware of the six stages of women’s friendship, you can read this to help understand the freedoms and responsibilities at each stage.
Your Very Best Friend
Let’s mention this right away. If you are married, your best friend should be your husband. He should be your priority relationship.
While many married women have male friends, there are cautions with this as it is too easy to cross the line. We can talk about this in another post but for now, I want to emphasize that your husband should be your number 1 BFF!
10 Reasons Why Women Friendships are Important
While God made you unique, each with your own DNA, He embedded you with chemical responses to friendships. Are you aware of that?
You are hard-wired for friendships. Healthy women friendships lead to a fulfilled life.
Some of the benefits of friendships are mentioned in the six stages of women’s friendships but let’s go over them again.
Women friendships are important because you:
- can support her through prayer and get to know her really well through the depth of your prayers. Romans 1:12 That is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine.
- can grow in faith spiritually through studying the Bible together and help each other when she doesn’t understand something. Beyond that, you can also help her draw closer to God through encouragement in the Word. Proverbs 27:17 Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.
- stand together through thick and thin, good and bad, and generally, root for her. Women understand each other in ways that men do not.
- can be honest with her as you speak the truth that needs to be heard. You can be a sounding board for her as she works through issues. Proverbs 27:9 Oil and perfume make the heart glad, and the sweetness of a friend comes from his earnest counsel. Proverbs 27:5-6 Better is open rebuke than hidden love. Faithful are the wounds of a friend; profuse are the kisses of an enemy.
- reduce stress and depression in each other by not being alone or lonely. This is the chemical reaction I mentioned above. Men and women respond to stress differently with women responding as nurturer. Have you noticed how that kicks into gear?
- have someone to talk with during times of struggle. No matter what the challenges in life are that come her way, as a friend, you can help her through them and can offer a fresh perspective. And of course, there’s intercessory prayer as you stand in the gap for her.
- are able to support her as she ages and experience the changes in life that come with the aging process.
- have the power of touch through hugs. Hugs are vital especially when you are going through trials and need someone to lean on.
- share in her achievements and successes.
- good friendships lead to contentment when you are surrounded by healthy friendships. You are each other’s cheerleaders.
You can read a bit more in this post by guest writer, Amanda Criss, for Arabah Joy, called 5 Building Blocks for Strong Christian Friendships. You’ll enjoy this as she applies Biblical principles for strong friendships.
Save this on Pinterest to read later!
God Made Women to Have Friendships
God designed friendships. If you did a search through OpenBible.Info on the word ‘friendship,’ you’ll find 100 Bible verses. God has much to say about the importance of friendship.
As we learned about the reasons why friendships are important, it goes deeper than that. Yes, women love to talk and share their stories but did you know that this also helps reduce stress levels? The health benefits of women friendships include
- exercise (going out for walks or hikes or some other sports activity),
- joy and laughter which is like good medicine, Proverbs 17:22,
- resiliency which prevents disease-triggering inflammation
- and best of all, friendships help guard against feelings of loneliness.
It’s amazing that God, in His wisdom, designed friendships to be so beneficial for us. I’m so glad that God is God! While the world may have all their reasons why women need good healthy friendships, God is the designer of it all.
My favourite Bible verse is Proverbs 18:24, A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. It’s the last part that I like and we know that this is Jesus as He is always with us.
But in human form, I believe that friends can stick close to each other too. Strong bonds can form between women that enable us to simply be there for each other no matter what.
The other verse that I like is Proverbs 17:17, A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for adversity. Don’t you think these two verses are closely related?
And this verse is a reminder for all of us to encourage and build each other up, 1 Thessalonians 5:11.
What If You Don’t Have
a Best Friend?
I can almost hear this…what if I don’t have a best friend let alone a close friend?
Not every woman wants or needs a squad of friends. You may have close friends who have been there for you all your life or some are more recent friends. Or, you may have only one friend who is closest to you. Whether you call her your BFF or close friend, she is there for you. And you may only need one close friend.
But if you don’t have any close friends and you’d like at least one good friend, you may have to be proactive and go find her.
Make yourself available to meet women at church or your gym or wherever women hang out. Go through the process of striking up a conversation, asking questions, seeing if you have any common interests. It will take some time and work but
But, the best thing to do is to seek God in prayer, confiding in Him your desire for a close friend. He knows who she is and wants to bring the two of you together. So, spend some time in prayer for her and for yourself so that you will be the kind of friend that she needs too!
That’s a Wrap
There you have it, 10 reasons why women need friendships along with scripture verses straight from God Himself.
Here’s another one, Ecclesiastes 4:9-10 Two are better than
So, be that good friend to her that you want from her. Serve her friendship needs and you’ll find that your needs are met also. Grow in faith together as you support each other through life’s joys and sorrows.
Let me leave you with this verse,
A man who has friends must himself be friendly, But there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother.
Proverbs 18:24, NKJV
If this has been a blessing to you, please share it on Facebook and pin it on Pinterest! Thank you for helping me get the Word out!
Cindy Barnes has been called by God in the early 80s to be a teacher of His Word. She is a serious student of the Word, focusing on the Inductive Bible Study Method since 2007. Her passion is to teach women how to study the Bible using this method. In addition, she desires for women to develop an intense yearning to draw closer to God through reading and writing out the Bible.
Cindy teaches hundreds of women in her private online Bible Study Group who express their joy of growing deeper in their spiritual walk.
You can stay in touch with Cindy on Facebook through 215 Ministry.